Sunday, February 17, 2013

Review: Bourjois Foundations Healthy Mix 53 and Healthy Mix Serum 53

Bourjois probably has the highest reputation in making great affordable foundations among highstreet brands. Too bad it withdrew from the US a few years back and now available on asos.com (and of course ebay and amazon). Here is how I got to try two of their most talked about foundations, Healthy Mix and Healthy Mix Serum. 

Back in last July, my mom asked me what random present I wanted from her. Well, the foundations were sold old on asos.com while she had the access to them. So eh hem, naturally, I told her about Bourjois healthy mix and healthy mix serum if she could :D. So, a few weeks later, I got them. My mom is beyond awesome!!! 

Why these two? I first got attracted by their supposedly healthy ingredients. They're both packed with vitamins and have fruity scent. If the makeup must have fragrance, I want fruit and vegetable. Second, I've read many reviews that are sort of divided but all agree on the medium to full coverage and smooth texture. My only concern is the oxidation. 
I myself found Healthy Mix and Healthy Mix Serum almost similar. The latter has slightly more dewy finish than the first. I can tell the difference by squeezing them between my fingers. Healthy Mix Serum feels more slippery albeit not as much as Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk. Both have lightweight texture that blends flawlessly into the skin. Both, Healthy Mix Serum more so, remind me of the YSL Touche Eclat Foundation in terms of texture, color, wearing and the finish. 

I agree with the comment that both Healthy Mix and Healthy Mix Serum have light-weight texture, something I usually don't find in older generations of drugstore foundations. They provide medium to full coverage. When built up, they both look natural. 

Some have reported the shade range discrepancy across Bourjois foundations. It's certainly not the case for Healthy Mix and Healthy Mix Serum. You can see in the swatch that they look identical. I can only see the difference after about one hour wearing when my skin oil starts to react with the foundations. After one hour, Healthy Mix Serum becomes more dewy and Healthy Mix still stays matte. 
Healthy Mix and Healthy Mix Serum give me natural finish yet it's not as fine as a second skin. They oxidize to a more orange color but it's an ok oxidation. They stay put for about 6 hours without primer or setting powder.

Bottom line. Not ideal foundations for my skin but very good from highstreet brands like Bourjois. For me it's a great dupe for YSL Touche Eclat Foundation so I skip YSL.

*****A side note on my skin and foundations*****
 I have medium yellow undertone (MAC NC 25-30) with some redness on the cheek and dull skin on the chin. My face skin is nearly one shade deeper than the neck. I look for a foundation that match my neck skin to create a seamless transition from face to neck. I don't classify my skin as good but I don't have break out or major skin problems. Loads of foundations turn orangy or muddy on me within one to three hours of wearing. This is the frustration of finding a good foundation for my makeup.  

Four must-have traits of a good foundation for me
  1. doesn't turn orange or muddy throughout the day
  2. dries in natural finish
  3. evens out the color and smoothes the skin (finely milled texture)
  4. covers veins, discoloration, redness and minor dark spots

12 comments:

  1. Great review! I just got the the mix serum and only tried it for 2 days. Pretty happy with it but I find it a bit oily after a while(I have oily skin). Totally agree with you with the oxidation for this foundation. Not as bad as the other brands I have used and I can live with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love that it's affordable and has great quality compared to some other drugstore brands. And I think a primer would help with the oily finish of Healthy Mix Serum. xx

      Delete
  2. I absolutely adore Healthy Mix... actually, I'm wearing it now! It's so incredibly natural looking. I remember Lisa Eldridge saying in a video that she checked it in daylight with a magnifying mirror and it was not visible on skin. I haven't tried the serum version but I would love to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't see much of the difference between the serum and the original, on my skin at least. I kinda wish that I just sticked to the original. It's already great!! But you know, once you got hooked with a brand, you just have to try hehehe. Hadn't I had gotten both, I wouldn't have been satisfied. Ah, dilemma!!

      Delete
  3. aww, too bad we don't have Bourjois locally. I guess I'll just have to look online on this! thanks for review ^_~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know!!! Bourjois should come back to the US, please. My skin is around NC 25-30 and 53 works well for me. Hopefully that helps.

      Delete
  4. I always hear good things about these foundations too. I have no idea where to get them (I guess asos...but I HATE buying makeup I haven't tried online :/) but I am sooo curious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Becca!! I hope my review reduces the sight-unseen risky shopping a bit. I think you're about the same skin tone as mine and your skin is oily. So go with Healthy Mix 53. asos accepts free return. I've never done that with them before so not entirely sure.

      Delete
  5. You're posting this right when I need it :) I have heard many good things about these products from Beauty bloggers and youtubers. From your review and swatches, I think I am more drawn into Healthy Mix Serum as it provides a more dewy finish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hype is right!! The price goes along with the quality. I find my shade by just guessing other bloggers' skin tone LOL. YAY for Healthy Mix Serum!

      Delete
  6. Great review JoanneP... would love to give it a try after reading your review :) Argan oil health benefits

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Fatima!! It feels great that someone finds my review helpful. Let me know how it works out for you xx

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...