Sunday, March 24, 2013

Review: Tom Ford Traceless Foundation Stick 05 Natural

After disliking the liquid formula, I didn't expect to fall in love with Tom Ford Traceless Stick. The liquid version oxidizes on my skin quite badly and doesn't provide the coverage I want with a thin layer. When built up for full coverage with 3 layers, it looks heavy and unflattering. It also has strong chemical scent. I tested Traceless Stick during each visit to the counter. Each time I left with a rising appreciation of the absence of oxidation, second-skin texture, perfect color match and no chemical scent. The issue for me is just how well it wears on my skin. After using it non-stop for the past month, I now can declare it one of my staples, permanently
Tom Ford Traceless Stick Foundation ($78 for 0.5oz/15g) is housed in a Tom Ford's signature elegant, sleek and chic glossy brown tube with golden rim and TF logo. It's exquisite! I love the packaging and I don't even tend to pay attention to it! The tube is shorter than my palm with the cap close tight. It was tossed around in my purse and the cap didn't come off. It'll also be handy for traveling.

I apply Traceless Stick directly from the tube in strokes. Three small strokes on the forehead, one long swipe on the nose, three large strokes on each cheeks, one short stripe on the chin and one gentle dab on the upper chin. Then I blend the foundation gently with a dense synthetic brush like Urban Decay Naked Foundation Brush or Real Technique Expert Face brush. The result is flawless and natural like second-skin.
Tom Ford Traceless Stick comes in twelve shades that are all yellow-based. They have the mixture of both pink and yellow, and integrate cool, neutral and warm in the color. So there is no real yellow or pink shade in the range. My perfect shade match is number 5 Natural which is actually more neutral and a bit lighter than number 4 Bisque. I can't find anything to criticize the match :D.

The spot-on shade match is also maintained throughout the day on my skin thanks to the infinitesimal oxidation of Traceless Stick. In this regard, it beats my other favorites Burberry Sheer Luminous and Clarins Ever Matte. The other two, albeit excellent, oxidizes more noticeably on my skin after 5 hours of wearing. It's a record time on my skin but Tom Ford Traceless Stick is better. Totally in love!
I don't experience any break out but some do. The ingredients look innocent so I'm not sure what might cause the problem. 
The ingredients
Tom Ford Tracessless Stick provides sheer to medium coverage and can be built up to full. The highly consistent creamy formula allows it to cover minor blemishes, vein, acne scars, dark spots and the likes on my skin in just one thin layer. It's opaque in the way that mimics your skin texture rather than creating it. The result is truly traceless as it claims. As you can see from the swatch below, before blending both Burberry Sheer Luminous and Clarins Ever Matte look smoother than Tom Ford Traceless Stick. However, when blent out Tom Ford Traceless Stick becomes seamless with the skin. It's hard to distinguish where the foundation begins or ends. That's what I expected from Giorgio Armani Maestro and Estee Lauer Invisible Fluid, both of which promise invisible natural skin-like texture that I found too sheer to cover minor blemishes. Some double Traceless Stick as a concealer (yes, the consistency is that good) for both blemishes and the under eye areas. But I find it a bit too thick for my under eyes. I rather use my YSL Touche Eclat instead. 

Tom Ford Traceless Stick dries in semi-matte finish (or semi-dewy, what's the difference anyway?). In the swatches below, the finish lies between matte of Clarins Ever Matte and luminous of Burberry Sheer Luminous. Although the texture of Traceless Stick is creamier than that of Clarins Ever Matte, the finish can be a bit dry if my skin is not thoroughly moisturized under dry weather. For this reason, I think Traceless Stick functions best during the more humid months. But this isn't a major drawback or nuisance. You just need to remember to exfoliate  your skin regularly and prep it well with moisturizer before applying the foundation. 
 Before blending

After blending
Tom Ford Traceless Stick stays fresh on my skin for 8 hours without a primer or setting powder, or up to 12 hours with a standard primer. It doesn't cake up or greasy up during the wear. I love to use it alone without priming or setting.

For all those wonderful benefits of Traceless Stick, how much extra must I pay? Compared to other two popular foundation sticks by Bobbi Brown ($42 for 0.31 oz/9 g) and Shu Uemura ($44 for 11g), Tom Ford's is more expensive ($78 for 0.5 oz) for more quantity of course. In order to get the same amount as Tom Ford's, Bobbi Brown would charge $67 and Shu Uemura would take $60 from your wallet. Pricey Ford! Yet I'm so blown away and happy with the quality and the quantity I have from Tom Ford that I'm no longer tempted to try Shu.

Will I purchase it again? Oh yes, if I ever finish it :D

Bottom line. Exceptional. Impeccable. Tom Ford Traceless Stick delivers the opacity in one thin layer, generating a skin-like finish that lasts all day with an unnoticeable oxidation. A must-have and added to my all time favorites list.

Have you tried Tom Ford foundations? How do you like them? Yay or nay?

14 comments:

  1. Thanks for the swatches and review. I enjoy your foundation posts because you seem to fall within the same color range and have the same aversion to "orange" turning shades. Very helpful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woot woot!! So you must feel my pain. It's weird that my skin isn't that oily and it's so hostile to the oil in the foundation. But this TF baby is wonderful. I'm glad you find my reviews helpful. xx

      Delete
  2. Gahhh I saw these at the Estee Lauder sale but wasn't sure it would work (haven't used a stick foundation in years!). So regretting it now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! You know what, I played with it about 4 times before getting it. On my face, back of my hand, dawn to dusk. It sucks that you can't have a sample of a stick foundation. But I'm so glad I took the risk. Well worth it. Maybe next time you just have to grab it. x

      Delete
  3. Think I can hardly resist 'impeccable'!!! Ugh!!! LOL!! So I need this and the amazing primer...ok!! Fantastic review...I'm so excited you finally found an amazing foundation!!! Woooo!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you can't hahaha, especially if you love Bobbi Brown stick!!! ;;) I'm so happy too. I love that TF traceless stick is so natural, yet it still gives me the coverage I want. Exactly what I need. Woot woot!!!

      Delete
  4. OMG this sounds amazing. I was never under the impression that TF products lived up to the expectation, but this one sounds like it's definitely worth it. Gah, I need a job, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It not only sounds amazing but also works wonderfully on my skin!! And despite its price tag, I also think that it's truly excellent and deserves the investment. LOL!! Good luck with your job hunt. Fingers crossed for you xx

      Delete
  5. Aaaah, why do I keep reading when I know I can't get my hands on these! It sounds like an amazing stick foundation! I actually never tried it tbh, the idea is a bit weird I guess, but maybe I should give it a go some day. ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, I guess i feel the same way with Suqqu. Well, I can lay my hands on the brand but the extra $$$ for the shipping and handling pulls me away. Tom Ford is a really really good brand. Not everything from TF deserves the price but this and his blushes do. Let me know when you decide to try it out. xx

      Delete
  6. Great review! I am not that big a fan of stick foundations though, but it looks good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sweetie! This is my first foundation stick. I generally don't use them either. Tom Ford has converted me into one of his followers. x

      Delete
  7. glad that you like it! Yay for that! I have not tried it yet but when I heard that Tom Ford products works wonderfully, it makes me wanna run to the counter and try it!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the whole line and was surprised that his foundation stick exceed my expectation. Yay for you to try it. You'll love it!!!!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...