Saturday, March 2, 2013

Review: Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder in Diffused Light

Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder Diffused Light ($45 for 0.35 oz) is one of the six new powders from Hourglass this spring. From both the company's website and sephora.com, they seem to possess super power of light-correcting: capture, diffuse, soften, filter the hash light and creating your perfect light! After testing them all in store, I found them to be too sheer to bring about any changes in lighting. I opted for Diffused Light, mainly to set my Burberry Sheer Luminous foundation that doesn't stay fresh pass 6 hours in Houston whether. I want a sheer powder that can maintain the glow of the foundation while keeping it in place. In other word, I aim to use Diffused Light as a regular setting powder rather than to correct my foundations. 
Ambient Lighting Powder come in classic Hourglass plastic case with a large mirror. The brush designed for the powders are sole separately. I skipped it after testing it in the store. I really like the packaging although I'd prefer a sleeker design. This functions well though, sturdy, compact and convenient. 
 The case
Diffused Light is a sheer soft yellow with micro-shimmer infused in the pigment. When applied all over my face, it produces a transparent veil of iridescent sheen, brightening up my skin in a very subtle way without adding color. I tried Radiant Light and Diffused Light on each side of my face and can really tell the difference between them. Radiant gives me warmth while Diffused Light lightens the other side. This suits me well as a setting powder. The powder is soft and ultra-fine. It feels luxurious and modern. 
 

I love how natural Diffused Light is as a setting powder. It's sheer enough to not cake up and let the color of the foundation peek through. It doesn't dry me out even with 5 layers on my face. Diffused Light stays fresh for solid 12 hours and extends the wear of my Burberry foundation yet not on my long-wear foundations. It also even out my skin tone just a tiny bit. I like it better than Guerlain Meteorites for this particular reason. 

When in need of a setting powder that either maintains a dewy finish or creates a subtle glow, I reach for Diffused Light. It's excellent for the job! But in order to create a from within glow, I can summon a galore of highlighters, my Tom Ford Illuminating Primer, my Burberry Sheer Luminous Foundation, Bourjois foundations, Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk, Benefit Hellow Flawless Oxygen and the list goes on. It's a nice-to-have but I can live without it. 

I strongly recommend you check out Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powders in person if that's possible. I've found swatches make no sense in this case. In the photos: 5 layers of Diffused Light
On the flip side, Diffused Light doesn't reduce the redness and conceal conceal my skin imperfections, pores winkles as promised. My foundations do the job a million times better. When it comes to light correction and blur out the skin "problems" Diffused Light bring none to the table. Under hash lighting my skin looks the same with or without Diffused Light.  I can see how Diffused Light can disappoint those of you who want something rather than just setting your cream products.
The ingredients

And to end this post, I'd like to share my thoughts on the other shades of Hourglass Ambient Lighting Power
  • Ethereal Light: same finish and texture with Diffused Light yet it whites me out. 
  • Dim Light: off color on me and a bit more shimmery
  • Luminous Light: ashy on me, the most frosty and works more like a highlighter on me. When applied all over, my skin shines like metal
  • Mood Light: Too pink and more shimmery than Diffused. 
  • Radiant Light: Too bronze and sparkly for my daily routine. It's the most sparkly shade of the bunch. I personally prefer it for night time. 
Have you picked up any Ambient Lighting Powder? Or were you able to resist the hype? If yes then hats off to you. LOL!

Bottom Line. Love it as a setting powder! But it's neither a must-have for me nor bright about the revolutionary solutions as claimed. 

13 comments:

  1. So I guess my big question is...would you buy Diffused again??? Hmmm...if you like these better than Meteorites, maybe i'll have to give this one a go. Then again...I've got a few powders to try that all have similar claims, so perhaps I'll just sit back and wait to try this out if the other ones turn out to be duds!! Thank you for the fantastic review!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Ms Skincare, I wouldn't buy it again. It's nice to have but I can create glow with other products and can make my foundation last longer with a good primer. If you're already happy with what you have, I think you can safely skip it. I don't have many powders and this, by far the best setting powder I have for the purpose I mentioned in the post.

      Delete
  2. Wow- u really managed to capture the beauty of this product. I know how hard it is to get good pics of almost translucent powders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you thank you!! It's more pretty in real life than in the swatches but I'm glad you still find them helpful. xx

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing your view on this! I'm still not too sure yet if I want to pick it up. I'm really loving the new Nars powders as well, they are perfect for photo shoots and thats what I need!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you're happy with Nars then I don't think you need Diffused Light. It's not a need, just something extra. But Diffused Light is an excellent extra. You see what I mean? As always, you're very welcome gorgeous! xx

      Delete
  4. I adore diffused light and I love that I can use it as a setting powder.. that was definiely a selling point for me. I am so curious to try that Tom Ford Illumiater and Burberry Foundation, youi have just stunning taste :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diffused Light sets my foundation beautifully, indeed. I reviewed Burberry sheer luminous foundation a few months back and am working on the TF Illuminator. All I can say right now is, well, it's rather darn good as a hybrid product. On my skin, it can replace my regular moisturizer and keep whatever applied on top last longer. I also love the soft luminous finish but still question the smoothing effect a primer. Thanks for the compliment. It makes my day.

      Delete
  5. It does sound intriguing! I only just discovered primers and I think I've found one I can't live without, but this at least sounds worth trying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! It's nice-to-have but the quality is great! What is the primer you love Liesl?

      Delete
  6. Really nice review. Your pictures are excellent showing the product well. Thanks for a candid take on Diffused Lights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Helen, I'm happy that you find it helpful!! I thought of a facial shot with and without Diffused Light. My camera failed to capture the difference. Fortunately, the back of hand gives me the canvas for the shimmer to show up. Thanks for the sweet comment!

      Delete
  7. Thanks for a great, honest review. I'm not sure I would purchase but I'll try to see it in person.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...