Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Review: Tom Ford Illuminating Primer

As I learn more about my skin and the suitable foundations, I desperately want a products that I can reduce the oxidation nightmare and retain the moisture of my skin. But I'm picky. I don't want a silicon-based primer simply for the touch of the material on my face. It's just my personality. When I found out about the ingredients and the concept of Tom Ford Illuminating Primer, I knew I must try it. It's been a smart investment for both my skin and my foundations. But will I purchase it again?
Tom Ford Illuminating Primer (the updated version doesn't include SPF) ($70 for 1 oz) is designed as a hybrid between a skincare and makeup via Tom Ford Infusing Complex. What is this complex? Words from the company "The Tom Ford Infusing Complex infuses skin with a potent combination of specially selected nutrients that help skin stimulate its natural repair mechanisms. By helping skin cells replenish their natural energy, it fundamentally rejuvenates the complexion, so it looks and feels brighter, fresher and less tired. High-performing antioxidants help protect the skin, creating a vital-looking face. The skin is left looking renewed, resilient and smoother."

As the primer, it's supposed to provide a flawless canvas for smooth application and long-lasting color. The brand recommends us to use it in a small amount all over the face after your regular skincare routine and before foundation.

Tom Ford Illuminating Primer comes in an elegant and light weight pearl white bottle and Tom Ford's signature glossy brown cap. There's no real cap though. The mechanic pump emerges as you twist the bottle. When you twist the bottle a bit more, the pump is locked To retract the pump, simply twist the bottle in opposite direction. The security lock ensures that the pump is in place both ways. I think it's such a brilliant and chic design!! You don't have to mess with falling out caps and accidental primer spill.

Sleek design of the primer. Mechanic pump intact 

To release the pump, twist the bottle. You can lock it by twisting a bit more. Same step to retract the pump into the bottle, twist more to secure it. 

The pump 

The ingredients sound awesome to me! Now we just have to see it in action, right?

Thumbs-up for mineral-oil-free, silicon-free, preservatives-free and natural extracts
Tom Ford Illuminating Primer contains ultra fine micro shimmer that results in a healthy glow if used alone. I have tried it in several ways. 

#1. In place of a moisturizer after a hydrating toner. The purpose is to seal the moisture of the skin. Don't. Do. This. hehehe. Unless your skin is rather dull, dry and need extra boost of shine. I massage skincare products on my face to facilitate the absorption and do the same for this primer. Well, my face looks really oily. It doesn't make the foundations last longer nor shorter, rather it lightens my foundations and absorb them into my skin. It doesn't feel comfy on the skin either. 

#2. As an illuminator, underneath foundation. It works wonderfully! After moisturizing my skin routinely, I press Illuminating Primer on my cheekbones, under the brown bones, cupid bow, and chin and blend lightly. I apply foundations on top of the primer as usual. The foundations transform into more dewy finish and also get brightened. The results is subdued glow in the areas highlighted. It's great for very natural healthy looking skin. But it won't be as noticeable as Tom Ford Shade and Illuminate

#3. Upon the company's suggestion, I apply a small amount all over the face. This by far the best method for my skin. Although I don't find my skin gets particularly smoother, the primer does create a subtle glow for my complexion. As you can see from the swatch below, my matte foundation Clarins Ever Matte looks dewy post-primer.  

#4. Mix the primer with the foundation. It also increases the glow for the foundations beautifully this way. The excellent consistency of the primer makes it blend seamlessly with the foundations. I love Tom Ford Illuminating Primer best for this method among other like Burberry Fresh Glow Luminous Fluid Base, Giorgio Armani Fluid Sheer and Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector. The others contains high shine shimmer, albeit very finely milled, they're too shiny when mixed with foundations. But be careful not to mix too much, or else the primer can lighten  your foundation considerably. 

My attempt to draw my initial with the primer fluid! You have complete control of the flow and the amount of primer through the small pump. 

The primer produces such a stunning glow. Applied excessively for swatches. Doesn't emphasize pore, fine lines or imperfection

The matte foundation turns to a subtly dewy finish with the primer

Same swatch. Cool lighting

Tom Ford Illuminating Primer helps to reduce foundation from oxidation to the level less than a silicon-based primer. The key to minimize oxidation on my skin is an oil-free formula of the foundation itself and well-moisturized skin. The primer acts as a barrier between my skin oil and the foundation. The foundations that aren't oil-free still turns muddy only a bit more slowly compared to sans primer. 

Now come the price point. It's overpriced. Period. The primer functions more efficiently as an illuminator than creating a smooth canvas and prolonging the wear of foundation on my skin. The packaging is so clever, convenient, compact and secure. It's perfect for on the go and looks elegantly on the vanity counter. When applied properly, Illuminating Primer can give a stunning understated glow of a healthy complexion. It's a excellent fancy extravagance for my skin. It isn't a must-have. 

Back to the question: Will I re-purchase Tom Ford Illuminating Primer? No. I have many highlighter that can give me the glow I want. And for a smoother skin, nothing beats good exfoliators and healthy lifestyle. 

Bottom line. Love! A nice-to-have illuminator for subdued natural glow. I'm using it everyday. It's a luxurious and chic product for your makeup wardrobe. If you have dry, normal or combination skin, you might love it for all over your face. Ladies whose skin is oily might want to use it to highlight certain areas only.

Have you tried Tom Ford Illuminating Primer? I would love to hear how it works for you. What other primers would you recommend?

23 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness. This primer looks AMAZING. I'm crying on the inside now because there's no way I could afford it. I'm seriously in awe of how illuminated and glowing it looks under that Clarins foundation. Great review, Joanne!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great as an illuminator isn't it? No need to cry sweetie. It's a permanent item, you can always put it in your wish list x

      Delete
  2. It's so pretty but since I already have really oily skin, it wouldn't work for me as an all over illuminator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I second it. You might only need it for certain areas only. I know some people with oily can still pull it off all over the face without looking greasy. But it requires high maintenance at that point. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. Whoa this looks like it would be really really moisturizing, from the ingredients! I can really see the glow from swatches... it's amazing how different the foundation looks. SOOOO pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The glow is lovely indeed! It feels moisturizing too. Thanks for the sweet comment Catherine! and no preservatives, your territory!

      Delete
  4. I have been searching for a silicon free primer for years but have yet to found one. I wanted to try this one but the price is hindering me :( i do love the finish it gives but the price isnt just right for me. Which do u think is much worthy to buy this or the hourglass? Thanks ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What are looking for in a primer? If you want to prolong your foundation wear and smoother base for your makeup, I'll say Hourglass is more suitable. But it creates a white cast on my face after the foundation is applied. If you want a natural healthy glow and quite smooth texture but no significant improvement on foundation wear, then Tom Ford works better. I know the price is ouchy. It took me lots of thoughts and saving to finally give it a go. Since I don't like the white cast and the silicone, I prefer TF.

      Another great primer is Korres mattifying primer. For me, it makes my makeup last much longer and keeps my face shine free. It's much better for me than the popula NARS, Laura Mercier, Stila, Lancome. Hope this helps Janet. And let me know how you decide x

      Delete
  5. I love the way it just transforms the Clarins into beautiful glowy goodness but the prices makes me run away in fear :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OUCH! I know the price will throw quite a few people off. Expected that. I saved a long time hehehe. Thanks for stopping by L xx

      Delete
  6. I don't like the illuminating effect. I always go for mattifying primers. But I guess that with a different skin type this could make a very lovely primer :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What mattifying primers are you loving? I want to find one for this summer. Currently, I love Korres but only use it on my T-zone. But I'd love to venture out and get to know more primers.

      Delete
  7. I think Tom Ford products are mostly overpriced. However I do think that it provides a very nice glow on your skin :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think Tom Ford products are mostly overpriced. However I do think that this product provides a very nice glow :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, healthy real glow! Yeah, if only the price is more friendly :(

      Delete
  9. Thanks for this honest review! I think it's great as a highlighter on strategic places under the foundation, no? Like you said, it's expensive for what it is, but I do like how it lightens up any foundation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, best compliment for my honesty!! I do prefer it as a highlighter/illuminator than a primer. Such a stunning glow and life it gives to my skin and foundations. I wish it were priced somewhere in the 30s. LOL

      Delete
  10. OMG wow--that is SUCH a pretty highlighter! There is no way I could use it all over my oily skin but I can definitely see how gorgeous this would be on the high points of the face. You're absolutely right though--it's VERY overpriced. For this reason, I think maybe I will go with Burberry's Fresh Glow instead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Burberry Fresh Glow would be a nice choice for you I think!! I do prefer a more subtle shimmer than the one in Fresh Glow but gee it's also beautiful. If you decide to get Burberry, let me know how it goes.

      Delete
  11. I I I... Its so beautiful! It does look like a gorgeous highlighter, but so $$$. If it was a little less I would be in! Enjoy this beauty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Taylor!! Yep, the whole TF line is expensive but this Illuminating Primer is definitely overpriced. I'm enjoying this for the weather we're having in Houston. But in the next few months, I doubt that I'll be able to use it all over my face.

      Delete
  12. Wow! You can definitely see the luminous glow even with a layer of foundation on top! I need an iluminating primer since all of my foundations are matte finish. I'm in torn whether to buy this or Burberry Fresh Glow. I want the one with more subtle sheen but now I noticed that Tom Ford has Shea Butter in it, I'm a bit hesitant… (very oily-skinned lady here :()

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard girls with oily skin can use the primer all over, but of course the skin turns shiny after 3-4 hours of wearing. I'd recommend spreading the primer sparingly or only in the areas you want to highlight. I personally prefer TF Illuminating Primer over Burberry Fresh Glow. But yeah, Burberry's has lighter texture, more liquidy.

      hey, btw, love Chanel Dragon on you;)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...