Sunday, April 28, 2013

Review: Tom Ford Eyeshadow Quad 01 Golden Mink

Tom Ford Eyeshadow Quad 01 Golden Mink ($75 for 0.35 oz) is one of the only two eyeshadow quads in my collection from the brand. It's a more neutral palette than Cognac Sable and I have seen it complement more skin tones too. However, I have mixed opinions about it. 
Golden Mink, housed in a signature Tom Ford brown case with large mirror and two applicators, features four stunning rather neutral to warm shades. You'll have two glitter shades, one light lime yellow and one bronzy peach. The others two shades are a frosty warm taupe and a shimmer neutral brown. I love the color theme of this quad and all shades work well together. Don't be shy of the shimmer in Tom Ford powder products as it's ultra delicate and wearable. The shimmer creates a sheen rather than sparkles on the skin and it merges well with the pigment. The two bottom shades alone can create a beautiful everyday look. The colors, I heart!!!
Tom Ford is one of a very few brands that execute shimmer/frost/glitter brilliantly, in my opinion. It thoroughly impresses me with Cognac Sable and I was expecting the same phenomenal quality of the two glitter shades in Golden Mink. Unfortunately, they're noticeably drier in texture and less pigmented than the bright bronze glitter in Cognac Sable. So 50% of $75 was spent on the less-than-excellent glitters that I don't use often. Ouch. I'm not happy. Although the glitter is still of high quality than the rest that I've tried, it doesn't live up to the Ford standard. For that price, I want perfection. 

Comparison swatches. Golden Mink is neutral, soft, and less pigmented. Cognac Sable is richly warm, and opaque
What questions my affection with Golden Mink the most is the wearing. I know many people experience the consistent long-wearing of 8 hours with Golden Mink. I don't. For some odd reason, it stays put that well in certain days and doesn't in others. Puzzled! Same primer, same activities, same weather, different wearing. 
Golden Mink under direct sunlight
Now, Golden Mink isn't a trashy quad. It delivers good quality that's in line with other high-end brands and offers beautiful wearable colors even the glitter. However, it's priced considerably higher per item (for discussion of price per quantity please click here) and since Tom Ford does have outstanding eyeshadow quads, Golden Mink should have been phenomenal. 

Bottom line. Like but not love! Good but not great! I'd rather trade one of the two glitter shade for a highlighter peach or ivory. Since I don't use glitter very often, Golden Mink doesn't maximize my investment.

Any thoughts on Tom Ford eyeshadows? Do you experience the same wearing inconsistency like me?

14 comments:

  1. Thanks for the great review, Joanne! While I've been eyeing some TF blushes, I haven't been too intrigued by the eyeshadow quads. I can have one very sparkling shade in a quad or a quint, but when the majority of the shades are very sparkling, I'm not sure I'll get the same use out of it. The wear time thing is puzzling too. Don't think I've experienced that with any eyeshadows!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Big YAY for TF blushes! I think they're the best products by the brand!!! The eyeshadows aren't consistently great unfortunately and frosty/shimmer (and the price) put off many people. I'm trying to figure out what makes the wearing so odd with Golden Mink and hopefully will be able to report back.xx

      Delete
  2. That's too bad the texture was a bit dry. It tends to require a really buttery texture for me to get into frost-y shades. I do think the colors are lovely, though

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right!!! Don't be concerned by the shimmer/frost finish. It's really subtle. x

      Delete
  3. I'm in love with that lower left hand corner colour! That sucks that the glitter doesn't stay as well as the other quad, but it might get better with time. For me, I find the top layer of glitter eyeshadow never really works well, you have to kind of scratch off the residue from the surface before you get to any buttery/creaminess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, that's a great idea!!! I'll be more patient with the glitter. High-five to that lower left hand corner color!!! Isn't it lovely? I love that I can use it as a swatch of color and it doesn't make my eyes look puffy or too frosty for work!

      Delete
  4. Aaaw, such a mixed review. I love the shades but I wished they were a bit more pigmented. For the price you want perfection idd, not a drier texture. I do love the shades tho, they seem very wearable. Such an odd thing about the weartime idd!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL!! I hope that my writing kinda makes sense. But that's what I love about blogging and trying out beauty products on my own. Sometimes I have absolute opinion and the other times I can't make up my mind. I still like Golden Mink but I wish it had the outstanding quality like Cognac Sable. I hope the wearing time oddities will be sorted out in the Houston's summer.

      Delete
  5. This is beautiful! Sadly though, it seems that I keep hearing the same things over and over about these TF quads: they're good but not great--not worth the hefty price tag. And so many people complain about the intense shimmer/glitter, wishing for more of a diverse palette. If I were just buying the palette to wear alone then I don't think I'd be able to wear more than 1 shade at a time, it'd just be too much for my taste. But it seems like it'd be great to pair one of these fun, dramatic, shiny shades with a neutral matte or something else in my collection. It's definitely pretty--not sure I'd ever run out to get it but if I ever found myself browsing the counter with some money burning a hole in my pocket, I just might splurge :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beautifully said!!! TF eyeshadow quads have inconsistent quality, unfortunately!!! There're better quads like Cognac Sable, Sahara Haze, Cocoa Mirage, in my opinions and there're quads like Golden Mink. If you don't wear glitter much, then definitely many TF quads aren't tempting. The colors of TF quads aren't insanely original either. What separates them out, I think, is the quality of the glitters and the amount of product you get for your bucks. But again, it's the glitter. hehehe.

      Delete
  6. I love the design of Tom Ford products especially the eye shadow palette. Mine is in Cognag Sable and I love to just taking a look at it and admire its beauty. However I have to agree with you that the texture isn't as smooth as some other brands. I am quite hesitant to but another one because of its hefty price tag and the product quality I got.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thumbs-up for staring at the pretty stuff!!! LOL! I do the same thing: spread my stash on the table and admire them. The price puts me off too. I've found some other quads of great quality but I can't justify to 1) buy more eyeshadow quads just because of the colors and 2) I do use TF for day time looks but not very often.

      Delete
  7. These shades are absolute stunners! ugh Tom Ford.. Why! That is really awful about the glitters though, its sort of unacceptable for TM's prices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you Taylor!! For the price and Mr Ford's reputation, it should be flawless. I still enjoy the colors though.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...