Thursday, January 17, 2013

Review: Tom Ford Private Blend Lipstick Black Orchid - FOTD

Tom Ford lipstick in Black Orchid ($48 for 0.10 oz) is a classic. It's a chic luxurious and opulent shade of deep cherry infused with ultra delicate red shimmer. The lipstick goes on opaque with two layers but I'd like to wear it at the maximum intensity with 4-5 layers. The red shimmer creates a nice sheen finish on the lips yet no red pigment is visible. How clever Tom Ford is!!! Despite its deep cherry brown undertone, Black Orchid doesn't look like dead old brown thanks to that red shimmer. I also think it will compliment various skin tone and skin depth.

Delicate red shimmer infused in the lipstick
But Black Orchid isn't just a pretty color. Like the rest of Tom Ford lipsticks, it has luxurious and exceptional texture, i.e. ultra smooth and creamy yet not too creamy to break easily. It feels weightless on my lips. It reminds me of Guerlain Rouge G and Edward Bess Ultra Sleek but not exactly identical. It glides on my lips evenly. 

Like any dark lipsticks, Black Orchid emphasizes every little imperfection of the lips. So I would highly recommend a good exfoliation and moisturizer to prep your lips. The lipstick will feather more easily on top of well-balmed lips though. To prevent feathering, you can use a lip pencil to line your lip liners, creating a surface for the lipstick to attach to. 

Black Orchid stays fresh for 5 hours on top of my lip balm without drinking or eating. It stays on about 8 hours with lip pencil. This wearing is remarkably better than another favorite of mine, Bite Beauty Mulberry. I'm impressed and very pleased with the quality. 

Tom Ford lipsticks come in a golden-rimed brown square case. It shuts tightly and securely. The case certainly looks luxe but don't weight as much as Burberry's. So if you are one of those who carry 15 lipsticks in your purse, you won't injure your arms. 

Now there is always a question about Tom Ford's price tags. For this exceptional quality but average amount (0.10 oz), I myself don't think Black Orchid is worth $48. You can find another outstanding vampy lipstick that works for your skin tone from other luxurious brands. I love the color and the quality so much that I actually overlooked this fact :D. 
 Swatches, overcast

Swatches, under direct sunlight, no visible shimmer
Bottom line. Totally in love! Tom Ford Black Orchid is more like a splurge than a necessity for my makeup stash. But it's more than just a good liptick. However, other designer brands offer relevant vampy lipsticks at two thirds of its price.

I love Black Orchid on Reika of Front Row Beauty! It also looks stunning on very pale complexion here. Below is a casual look featuring Black Orchid, Shade and Illuminate Intensity 2, Golden Mink Eyeshadow quad. Not the best look and photos but I'm pleased with how the lip color turns out. In two layers, Black Orchid has more red than brown but it's still a deep cherry color. As usual, please scroll down for full makeup breakdown:) 
Warm lighting

 Cool lighting
Look breakdown

Face
YSL Touche Eclat No 8
Laura Mercier Translucent Setting Powder

Eyes
NARS Pro-prime eye primer
Tom Ford Brow Sculptor Espresso
Tom Ford Eyecolor Quad Golden Mink
Bobbi Brown Gel liner Espresso
Giorgio Armani Eyes To Kill Stretch Mascara

Lips
Fresh Sugar Gentle Lip Scrub
EOS Lip Balm
Tom Ford Black Orchid (2 layers)

11 comments:

  1. Black Orchid looks stunning on you!!! Oh, ok...maybe I need this...?!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Gummy!! I agree. You need this. It's a nice alternative to red lips ;)

      Delete
  2. Oh my God stop showing me Tom Ford!!! Black Orchid is SO sexy on you, and it pops without being over the top!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You need Black Orchid Sunny, based on your FOTDs I'm guessing!! It looks frightening in the tube but really stunning on the lips, though opaque. Thanks for the sweet comment!

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness this is sooo flattering on you! My first thought when I saw the color was that it'd be really dramatic but it's totally wearable (on you at least!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Catherine!!! I applied only 2 layers so that it won't intimidate people in the day time. It's even more gorgeous with 4-5 layers.

      Delete
  4. Ahh, you're killing me with your TFs! This is stunning on you. I should make purples my next challenge. I have no issue with reds or brights, but darks skeer me a little, which is funny because I was ALL about dark, vampy lips in high school and college.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I think purples suits you well!! It brings you some good old memories too, right? I can't think of anyone skin tone that Black Orchid won't look great on. xx

      Delete
  5. That looks and sounds so stunning - and the colour realy suits you!!

    Just found your blog, great blog!! I’m a new follower.
    Hope you will check out my blog too – and while you are there, don’t forget to enter my INTERNATIONAL GIVEAWAY;
    http://beautyandlifestylehunter.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Karina, thanks for the lovely comments!!! Heading out over your blog now.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...