Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Starter Kit for Makeup Beginner - The Color

This particular post was born from a recent conversion with a girlfriend of mine. She's asked my suggestions for her makeup already and really enjoyed the products I found. Now she wants to build up a simple, easy-to-use, accessible makeup kit for her everyday looks and evening parties. She gave me the honor (and huge responsibility;)) to compose a list that she will just buy everything on it.

I chose the products that my friend can easily find at Sephora, Macy's and local drugstores. She has hooded eyes but is blessed with gorgeous smile. I decided to not playing up with the eyemakeup for now, instead focus on her lips. This kit is all about quick compact and versatile. My favorite items include Bobbi Brown Pot Rouge in Rouge and Hourglass Liquid Lipstick in Icon which she can wear as a stain and build up for full-on glamorous lips. 

It was so hard for me not to recommend a highlighter and a gel liner as I swear by them.  But Bobbi Brown Shimmer Brick in Nectar is a must-have for her as it can be used as a blush for evening looks too. Can't skip it! I also refrain myself from eye primer and eye brushes, and from urging her to try Chanel glossimer, hence the Tarte cream eyeshadow in Bronze. I figured if later she becomes more interested in makeup, she can always add a million pretty girly items to her makeup bag. Regular beauty tools like tweezer, cotton swab and pads are not included here. 

If you were me, what would you recommend for my friend? 

Starter kit for makeup beginner


Bobbi Brown Cosmetics shimmer blush Shimmer Brick in Nectar
nordstrom.com


Shiseido eyelash curler
nordstrom.com


Bobbi Brown Cosmetics sheer makeup Bobbi Brown Pot Rouge in Rose
sephora.com


Tarte bronze eye makeup Cream eyeshadow in Bronze
beauty.com


Clarins matte foundation Ever Matte Foundation in Tan 110
bloomingdales.com


Hourglass Cosmetics hourglass cosmetic Liquid lipstick in Icon
barneys.com


MAC Cosmetics makeup brush 116 blush brush
nordstrom.com


LancĂ´me Definicils mascara
lancome-usa.com


Urban decay eyeliner 24/7 in Zero
beauty.com


Anastasia makeup brow wiz in Medium Ash
sephora.com


Bobbi Brown Concealer Kit in Warm Beige 
bloomingdales.com



8 comments:

  1. Oh, this is a really great idea! I would suggest also a basic palette with neutral and darker shades (something not intimidating, like a quad) to experiment with different eye looks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right!! Will tell her about your suggestion. Thanks much Larie! Right now, I'm waiting to see how she likes Tarte bronze. Once she feels more comfortable with eyemakeup, I'll start recommend eyeshadow palettes.

      Delete
  2. I was going to suggest a bronzer/brown shadow to help contour the eye, but then I saw this Tarte cream shadow! It's probably better than a shadow, because it's much more easily blended.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And she can blend it out using her fingers. I'll tell her about the bronzer though. I think she'll like the idea of versatility. Thanks!

      Delete
  3. Hi JoanneP,
    This is a nice post :)
    If I would recommend a friend who wants to start make up, I'd recommend her to buy Urban Decay Naked palette and an eyeliner. I thin those two products are necessary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, that's a good idea!! Naked Palette is pretty AND easy-to-use. I'm showing her how to line the eyes. Thank you!!

      Delete
  4. cute post! what about real techniques brushes, as a cheaper alternative to mac?? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks much Joyce!! I've never tried real techniques. Should I recommend a set or just 1 brush?

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...