Source: Sephora (not an affiliated link)
Givenchy Mat Radiant ($55 for 1 oz) caught my attention as soon as I read this glowing review by my sleepy princess GummyVision. Shade 4 is pink, Shade 6 is too dark so I decided my shade would be No 5. Mat Honey. It has the right depth and is yellow-based. When first applied, Shade 5 seems to be the right match for me. It lies between my face shade and neck shade and seems to create a natural transition from face to neck. Well, it is fabulous for about 15 minutes on my bare skin then it turns pink and orangy on my skin. GummyVision suggests a primer to reduce the oxidization. It helps a bit in my case but I prefer not using primer for daily makeup.
Givenchy Mat Radiant dries in matte natural finish, which reminds me of my favorite Clarins Ever Matte. I totally agree with GummyVision that it looks like your skin but it's not your skin peeking through the foundation.
In short, here are what I like
- good coverage for vein, discoloration and minor blemishes
- very natural finish as if it's my skin
- smooth out my skin texture, making it look very fine and tight!!
- comfortable and weightless, no greasy feeling, no drying out
- long-wearing, 8 hours without a primer or setting powder
Bottom line. Givenchy Mat Radiant is an excellent foundation if you love natural and weighless foundation that lasts long, and you can find your shade. You don't need to have good skin to make a good use of it.
*****A side note on my skin and foundations*****
I have medium yellow undertone (MAC NC 25-30) with some redness on the cheek and dull skin on the chin. My face skin is nearly one shade deeper than the neck. I look for a foundation that match my neck skin to create a seamless transition from face to neck. I don't classify my skin as good but I don't have break out or major skin problems. Loads of foundations turn orangy or muddy on me within one to three hours of wearing. This is the frustration of finding a good foundation for my makeup.
Four must-have traits of a good foundation for me
- doesn't turn orange or muddy throughout the day
- dries in natural finish
- evens out the color and smoothes the skin (finely milled texture)
- covers veins, discoloration, redness and minor dark spots