Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Classic & Classical - Pride & Prejudice - the Movie

The Netherfield ball. They unconsciously formed an intimate connection through sarcasm. 
It was the first to wake me up in the morning, also the last to bring me sleep at night. My mind fixed on it, craving to see it everyday. My heart races.  My heart skips a beat. I was completely absorbed into it. Now that I recovered a bit, I can tell you. It is Joe Wright’s 2005 movie Pride & Prejudice. Watched it 20 plus times. Scrutinized the actual movies scripts for countless number of times. And now after 2 weeks, my affection for the whole Pride and Prejudice theme are so solid and lively that it intrigues me to write a Pride & Prejudice post series. For better for worse, I decide to let my emotion go, even into cheesy expression of my thought. Who cares. I'm in love with this movie. 

I don’t think there will be ever an adaptation that can be as good as the book. We, readers, have the immense imagination and freedom to interpret Austen’s narration. It was written in a formal language while the emotion and passion still shine through vividly. Pray, how on earth did Miss Austen manage to do so? Nonetheless, the 2005 version truly lives up to my expectation.

The movie perfectly paints the romance between Elizabeth and Darcy. I feel what I imagine from Jane Austen’s book - the passion, intense pride and prejudice, most ardent love, ultimate scruples, irresistible affection and strong personality. I love Joe Wright’s “close up” approach. The facial expression is priceless. I think he did an especially great job on casting. Keira Knightley and Matthew Macfadyen are the ONLY Lizzie Bennet and Mr. Darcy I see. The chemistry between these two really lifts up the whole movies. The way they look at each other, pray, just melts my heart. I screamed out loud after the dawn scene when Darcy proposed to Elizabeth the second time. How ridiculously romantic and cute! Seriously, I feel like a teenage girl spotting Justin Bieber or Robert Pattinson on the red carpet. Although the motivation is completely different, the exhilaration of witnessing something that beautiful and sweet really refreshes my mind. Oh, and the classic romantic pleasant music! How wonderful the color of the movie! Everything is perfect! LOVE!  
Darcy: "You have bewitched me body and soul. And I love, I love, I love you. And never wish to be parted from you from this day on". 
Elizabeth: "Your hands are cold". She happily accepted his hands. Yay!


Pride & Prejudice Obsession Part 2
Pride & Prejudice Obsession Part 3
Pride & Prejudice Obsession Part 4

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...